Pineapple is a rich source of bromelain, which is an enzyme that helps to digest protein. Pineapple has been used for centuries in Central and South America to treat indigestion and reduce inflammation. Mango is another tropical superfruit – as well as being abundant in enzymes, it has cancer-protective antioxidant compounds including quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat,
I’ve also added collagen hydrolysate to this smoothie, for an anti-inflammatory protein boost. Be sure to use grass-fed collagen hydrolysate, such as the Great Lakes brand, available on iHerb.
Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 large smoothie (about 500ml)
- 1½ cups coconut milk, or organic milk of choice
- 1 banana (You can make this smoothie banana-free - just reduce the coconut milk to 1 ¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp collagen hydrolysate
- 1 tsp organic turmeric powder
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup roughly chopped mango
- ½ cup roughly chopped pineapple
- 1 tsp maca (optional)
- 1 tsp glutamine (optional)
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- Put the coconut milk and pomegranate seeds in your blender and blend for about 10 seconds. Strain this mixture and put back in the blender. You can leave this step out, but your smoothie will be a little gritty from the fibrous pomegranate seeds
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.