Over the years we’ve upgraded, and invested in a Norwalk, the king of cold-pressed juicers, and perfected our own home recipes. A cold-pressed juice is far superior to its centrifugally produced cousins. Those are the machines often found at cafes and some juice bars that spin the life and energy out of the fruit and veggies and deliver a frothy, overly sweet sugar rush. A cold-pressed juice delivers live nutrition, rich in enzymes and because we don’t overdo the fruit, the juices aren’t full of glucose-spiking sugar. Vegetable juices found in the supermarket – you know the tomato based ones I mean – are loaded with salt, so these don’t count either.
By drinking a cold-pressed juice every morning, with this one simple action, we flood our bodies with immune-boosting, anti-aging and life giving vitamins and minerals to set us up for the rest of the day. Starting our day with a green juice is a sure-fire way of giving our bodies a jumpstart, especially when that day starts with a pre-work gym session (beetroot juice is especially great for that!).
There are many benefits to juicing which are well documented, here are just a few
- Green juice makes your skin glow. The essential vitamins for healthy skin are vitamins A, C, E & K. Many of which are found in green vegetables.
- Green juices give you energy, without the heavy feeling of needing to digest a great big meal
- Green juice can improve your digestion. When you give your body the nourishment it needs, it just works better.
- A green juice counts towards your 5+ a day – and we all know we need to eat more veggies. You can put a lot more greens in a juice than you could sit and eat
- The vegetables used in green juices can help to speed up detoxification through the liver
- Green juice is also surprisingly filling, which mean it can help curb late afternoon (or mid-morning) snack cravings
A few tips to get you started on green juice
- Drink your green juice on an empty stomach and wait about 30 minutes before eating anything else solid. Nutrients in your juice will be digested by your body most efficiently in this way.
- Don’t overdo it. If you’re drinking cold-pressed juice daily, just a cup or so will supply your body with a super source of nutrients
- A green juice can’t undo the damage of a night out on the town, but it certainly can help. Try a beetroot juice after a heavy night out, the pigment that gives beetroot its colour, beta cyanin, is an antioxidant that speeds up detoxification in the liver.
- Although green juice is extremely hydrating, you need to lubricate your body with water too - drink 8+ cups of water a day
Try getting into the habit of drinking a fresh vegetable juice daily and see if you can feel the difference for yourself! Let us know how you go