In spite of name confusion, these little green fruit have an array of health benefits. Here are just 5 of them…
2. DNA protection – Kiwifruit has the ability to protect our DNA from oxygen-related damage. Kiwifruits contain a variety of flavonoids and carotenoids that have demonstrated antioxidant activity, these phytonutrients in kiwi may be responsible for this DNA protection.
3. An excellent source of vitamin C - One medium sized kiwifruit has 70.5mg Vitamin C, which is pretty high in the food ranking for vitamin C – even higher than oranges! This key nutrient is associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes including heart disease, stroke and cancer
4. High in fibre – at 2.3g per fruit, a couple of kiwifruit per day will help you to reach the recommended target of 25-30g fibre per day (just don’t eat 10 kiwifruit!). Two kiwifruit eaten just after breakfast is recommended by some Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners to help with constipation and digestive issues.
5. Look after your bones. Kiwis are high in vitamin K – 30.6mcg per medium kiwifruit. Vitamin K deficiency is linked to low bone mass and increased risk of osteoporotic fracture.
So there you go, a few more reasons to enjoy extra kiwifruit. And as a bonus, here’s a banana-free smoothie recipe that includes kiwifruit (it has maca for hormone balance, and l-glutamine for more gut healing amino acids too).
Time: 5 minutes
- 2 kiwifruit – peeled if not organic
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut butter or oil
- ¼ - ½ avocado
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tsp l-glutamine
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 cup chilled coconut water (or coconut milk if you want it extra creamy)