In light of all of that - in doing this elimination diet, one of the hardest things I've found has been giving up coffee. So today's Five Friday Favourites is dedicated to providing some relief from the boredom of green tea...
Five Coffee Alternatives
- Liquorice tea (AIP friendly) – a slightly sweet herbal tea that has traditionally been used to support the respiratory and digestive system. I find Liquorice tea much more satisfying than most other herbal teas.
- Coconut milk with manuka honey, cinnamon, ginger and cloves (AIP friendly) – coconut milk is packed with healthy fats and manuka honey is renowned for its antibacterial, antimicrobial and other health benefits. This drink is probably best drunk as a soothing ‘night-cap’. You could also water down the coconut milk a little if you find it too rich.
- Paleo Hot Chocolate (AIP friendly) – the best AIP friendly hot chocolate recipe I could find. It’s slightly bitter due to the carob, but carob does have the chocolate flavor you might be missing, without the fat, caffeine or theobromine found in chocolate.
- Paleo White Hot Chocolate – a truly decadent treat. Its redeeming qualities are the citrus and the cocoa butter. While it will add substantially to your caloric intake, raw cacao butter contains essential omega fatty acids (Omega 3-6-9) and naturally occurring antioxidants.
- Dandyblend with coconut milk – this is probably the closest coffee flavour you’ll get without actually drinking coffee. While not AIP friendly due to the roasted grains in this blend, it is gluten and caffeine free. Dandelion and chicory root have also been shown to stimulate digestion.
Hope you found that useful. What ideas for coffee substitutes do you have? Let me know in the comments below.